Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My Precious

Hello, my name is Amy Howe and I'm addicted to TurboKick Boxing.

I did my first kickboxing tape when I was probably 19 or 20 years old. It was OLD SCHOOL - Kathy Smith Kickboxing. I originally had it on VHS, if that tells you anything. It is old, but it's actually decent - I did it this past winter when we had crazy snow & ice and the gym was closed. Of course, it doesn't hold a candle to TurboKick Boxing (which I'll refer to as TKB from now on), but it really does give you a good workout and helps you learn "true" kickboxing form (they have professional Keith Cooke on the video). It was helpful to have had that experience when I ventured into my first TKB class last Spring. I wasn't completely in the dark about what a jab, cross, hook, and uppercut were. :)

Since I had been pretty much solely running before I got back into the gym atmosphere, it wasn't like I could just walk into the class and be a pro TKB-er. I was actually humiliated after my first class because everyone seemed to know what they were doing and I was lost at all the new combos. It took me about two weeks of twice a week classes to really catch on to the moves unique to TKB, but since then...I've been what I guess you could call a TKB JUNKIE.

I currently take 4-5 TKB classes per week and even went so far as to go through TKB Training. I could teach the format if I wanted to. That scares the crap out of me...I'm ok being front & center, but actually having to talk and teach and execute moves...I think I have a while yet before I have the nerve for that. Baby steps are my best friend. ;)

This morning I did TKB with the always amazing Deb at the Frisco Athletic Center. She is really one of my favorite all around instructors - she ALWAYS cues, she has a ton of energy, she's funny, motivating, and her body is inspiring! At 42, I hope I am as kick-butt as she is!


Do you have a favorite workout?

No comments:

Post a Comment